Good teaching materials in Russian in the economic development aspects of trade policy and WTO accession are seriously lacking. To address this problem, the World Bank Institute has developed, and continues to further develop course materials on reform of both international trade policy and foreign direct investment and has made these available on this bi-lingual website.
1. One set of materials comes from the World Bank Institute course entitled “Trade Policy and WTO Accession for Development in Russia and the CIS “. This is a two week course intended for a broad popular audience that was first delivered (to university of teachers of international trade) in March-April 2005 and delivered again in March 2006 in Moscow. The 43 papers prepared for this course and the Powerpoint presentations are available at the link below under the name of the course. A book, in Russian, of the papers prepared for the course has been published by Ves Mir publishers and appeared in 2006.
Trade Policy and WTO Accession for Development in Russia and the CIS - 2005
Trade Policy and WTO Accession for Development in Russia and the CIS - 2006
2. Although the development of effective trade policy institutions is acknowledged as crucial to development, how to develop good trade policy institutions in not often discussed. To begin to address this problem as well as to help the Russian government have a discussion on the formulation of its trade strategy, the World Bank Institute, the Europe and Central Asia region of the World Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and the Center for Strategic Research of Moscow co-sponsored a seminar on October 26 - 27, 2006 at EBRD headquarters in London. The program, Powerpoint presentations and papers that were distributed are at the following link.
Building Institutions for Evidence Based Trade Policy Decision-Making: International Experience and Russian Strategy, 26 - 27 October, 2006
Foreign trade policy in Russia - Proceedings of the conference on Building Institutions for Evidence Based Trade Policy Decision-Making: International Experience and Russian Strategy (pdf - 1.3mb), London, 26 - 27 October, 2006
Full proceedings of the first day of the conference are in the following file: A hard copy of the proceedings may be ordered free of charge from the EBRD at:
3. Another set of materials is translation of the majority of the articles in the World Bank volume "Development, Trade and the WTO".
Development, Trade, and the WTO
4. A fourth set of materials is the book that arose from the World Bank Institute seminar offered in Moscow in June 2000.
Russian Trade Policy and WTO Accession (Seminar, June 2000)
5. We also provide an English-Russian glossary of terms relevant to the World Trade Organization prepared by the US Department of Commerce, Commercial Law Development Program.
English-Russian Glossary of Terms(pdf - 684k)
Last updated Jun 25, 2007