Click here for search results
Who wants to redistribute? Russia's tunnel effect in the 1990's, Volume 1
Author:Ravallion, Martin; Lokshin, Michael; Country:Russian Federation;
Date Stored:1999/09/14Document Date:1999/07/31
Document Type:Policy Research Working PaperSubTopics:Environmental Economics & Policies; Economic Theory & Research; Inequality; Health Economics & Finance; Labor Policies; Public Health Promotion; Poverty Diagnostics
Language:EnglishMajor Sector:(Historic)Social Protection
Region:Europe and Central AsiaReport Number:WPS2150
Sub Sectors:Other Social ProtectionCollection Title:Policy, Research working paper ; no. WPS 2150
Volume No:1  

Summary: It seems natural to expect the rich to oppose policies to redistribute income from the rich to the poor, and the poor to favor such policies. But this may be too simple a model, say the Authors. Expectations of future welfare may come into play. Well-off people on a downward trajectory may well favor such policies and poor people on a rising trajectory may not. This resistance of upwardly mobile poor people to lasting redistribution is analogous to Hirshman's "tunnel effect", as applied to traffic stuck on a congested two-lane road in a tunnel: People's spirits lift when traffic starts moving again; but when another lane starts moving and theirs doesn't, they might grow furious and want to correct things by crossing the double line separating the two lanes. Using Russia in the 1990's as the setting, the authors analyze why some people favor governmental redistribution and others do not and whether there is a "tunnel effect". They find that: 1) Some 72 percent of the 7,000 adults surveyed in October 1996 favor government action to reduce incomes of the rich. But the other 28 percent were not only the currently "rich". 2) About 85 percent of those in the poorest consumption decile favor redistribution. But among those who expect their welfare to decline, support for redistribution is high, even among the currently "rich". There is little support for redistribution among the well-off who expect to become even better off. Resistance is greatest among those on a rising consumption path who expect it to continue. 3) Women tend to favor redistribution more than men. 4) Those who favor redistribution include people who voted communists and people who are vulnerable: the old, women, poorly educated adults, people who live in rural areas, people who expect to lose their jobs, and people who do not think the government cares about them.

Official Documents
Official, scanned versions of documents (may include signatures, etc.)
File TypeDescriptionFile Size (mb)
PDF 30 pagesOfficial version*2.1 (approx.)
TextText version**
How To Order
Light-Weight Documents
Lighter (less MB) documents which may or may not be the final, official version
File TypeDescriptionFile Size (mb)
PDF 25 pagesWPS21500.20

* The official version is derived from scanning the final, paper copy of the document and is the official,
archived version including all signatures, charts, etc.
** The text version is the OCR text of the final scanned version and is not an accurate representation of the final text.
It is provided solely to benefit users with slow connectivity.

Permanent URL for this page: