Publications | Data | Events | Researchers
Permanent URL for this page: http://econ.worldbank.org/programs/trade/tradepolicy
The World Bank trade policy research consists of three main areas: (i) measurement of trade policy and their impacts on trade flows and GDP; (ii) documenting temporary trade barriers; (iii) the trend and impact of trade agreements and regionalism.
Overall Trade Restrictiveness Index
The Overall Trade Restrictiveness Index (OTRI) summarizes the trade policy stance of a country by calculating the uniform tariff that will keep its overall imports at the current level when the country in fact has different tariffs for different goods. More >>
World Bank Temporary Trade Barriers Database
The Temporary Trade Barriers Database (TTBD) website hosts newly collected, freely available, and detailed data on more than thirty different national governments’ use of policies such as antidumping (AD), global safeguards (SG), China-specific transitional safeguard (CSG) measures, and countervailing duties (CVD). The information provided in this detailed data base will cover over 95% of the global use of these particular import-restricting trade remedy instruments. More >>
Trade Agreements and Regionalism
Regional agreements have proliferated in recent years. Recent World Bank research focuses on understanding the effect of regional agreements on the external liberalization of member countries. It also examines deeper integration in services, standards and labor markets.
- Trade Policy Monitor: Using the WTO to Keep South-South Trade Flowing - Lessons from Antidumping, Chad P. Bown, Daniel Lederman, Number 1, April 2012
- VoxEU.org: Beggar-thy-Neighbours? Spillover Effects of Exchange Rates, Aaditya Mattoo, Prachi Mishra, and Arvind Subramanian, March 23, 2012
- VoxEU.org: Impact Evaluation in Trade: Time for a Cultural Revolution? Olivier Cadot, Ana M. Fernandes, Julien Gourdon, and Aaditya Mattoo, January 21, 2012
- VoxEU.org: Import Protection and the Great Recession, August 2011
- VoxEU.org: The Elephant in the "Green Room": China and the Doha Round, May 2011
- The Economist: The Recovery in Trade - Defying Gravity and History, August 2010
- Reuters: Protectionism Barely Affected Trade, July 2010
- VoxEU.org: The WTO Dispute Settlement System would Survive without Doha, Chad P. Bown, June 2010
- VoxEU.org: Is Protectionism on the Rise during the Crisis? Hiau Looi Kee, Cristina Neagu and Alessandro Nicita, June 2010
- VoxEU.org: Regional Trade Agreements: Blessing or Burden? Caroline Freund and Emanuel Ornelas, June 2010
- The Economist: Afta Doha: Should Free Traders Applaud the Rise of Preferential Deals? September, 2008
- VoxEU.org: Regionalism Worries? Antoni Estevadeordal, Caroline Freund and Emanuel Ornelas, July 2008
Freund, Caroline and Martha Denisse Pierola, "Export Surges: The Power of a Competitive Currency," Journal of Development Economics, 97(2): 387-395, 2012
Chen, Xiaoyang and Laura Alfaro,"Surviving the Global Financial Crises: The Role of Foreign Ownership," World Bank Research Digest, 6(2):5, Winter, 2012.
- More Articles and Briefs
- Complete list of Working Papers is located in the Library at the bottom of the page.
Back to Top