Books | Journal Articles | Presentations | Issue Briefs | Dissemination Activities
- 2011: “Voluntary and Mandatory Food Standards in China” (2011) Axel Mangelsdorf, Alberto Portugal, and John S. Wilson, forthcoming in “ Non-Tariff Measures: A Fresh Look at Trade Policy’s New Frontier,” edited by Cadot et. al. CEPR and the World Bank.
- 2011: "Standards, Trade, and Development,” John S. Wilson, Chapter 8 in Opening Standards: The Global Politics of Interoperability, MIT Press, edited by Laura DeNardis, September 2011.
- 2011: “Aid and the Services Sector” Esteban Ferro, Alberto Portugal and John S. Wilson, Chapter 8 in “Where to Spend the Next Million? Applying Impact Evaluation to Trade Assistance” edited by Cadot et al. CEPR and World Bank, 2011.
- 2010: "Trade Costs And Facilitation: Open Trade And Economic Development" by Jean-Christophe Maur and John S. Wilson.
- July 2012: “Food Standards and Exports: Evidence for China,” World Trade Review, Volume 11, No. 3, July 2012, Axel Mangelsdorf, Alberto Portugal, and John S. Wilson.
July 2012: “Export Performance and Trade Facilitation Reform: Hard and Soft Infrastructure,” World Development Vol. 40, No. 7, pp. 1295–1307, Portugal-Perez, A., & Wilson, S.J.
- January 2012: “The Distance Puzzle and Low-Income Countries: An Update,” Céline Carrère, Jaime de Melo, and John S. Wilson, Journal of Economic Surveys, January 2012 (online version).
- January 2012: "Deep Trade Policy Options for Armenia: The Importance of Trade Facilitation, Services and Standards Liberalization," Economics-ejournal, Volume 6, January 2012, Jesper Jensen and David Tarr.
- December 2011: "Aid for Trade Facilitation,” Matthias Helble, Catherine Mann, and John S. Wilson, Review of World Economics, December 2011 (online version).
- Summer 2011: "Investing in Port Infrastructure to Lower Trade Costs In East Asia," Journal of East Asian Economic Integration, Volume 15, No. 2, Summer 2011, Kazutomo Abe and John S. Wilson.
- December 2010: “Beyond the Information Technology Agreement: Harmonization of Standards and Trade in Electronics” Volume 33, Issue 12, Alberto Portugal-Perez, Daniel Reyes, and John S. Wilson, The World Economy.
- October 2010: “EU Accession and Trade Facilitation: Setting Priorities Post-Crisis,” (2010) Harry Broadman, Xubei Luo, and John S. Wilson, Journal of International Commerce, Economics, and Policy.
- September 2009: “Trade Facilitation in ASEAN Member Countries: Measuring Progress and Assessing Priorities,” Ben Shepherd and John S. Wilson, Journal of Asian Economics, Vol. 20 Issue 4
- July 2009: “Why trade facilitation matters to Africa,” Alberto Portugal-Perez and John S. Wilson, World Trade Review, Volume 8, Issue 3, pp. 379-416.
- July/August 2009: “Guest View: John Wilson,” ISO Focus, pp. 4-7.
- March 2009: “Help or Hinderance: The Impact of Harmonized Standards on African Exports,” John S. Wilson, Witold Czbala & Ben Shepherd, Journal of African Economies.
- March 2009: “Transparency, Trade Costs, and Regional Integration in the Asia-Pacific” with Matthias Helble and Ben Shepherd, The World Economy, Volume 32, Issue 3, pp. 479-508.
- December 2008: “Trade, Transparency, and Welfare in the Asia Pacific,” John S. Wilson & Kazutomo Abe, Journal of International Economic Studies, Volume 12 No. 2, pp. 35-78.
- 2008: “Standards and Export Decisions: Firm-level Evidence from Developing Countries,” John S. Wilson, Maggie Chen & Tsunehiro Otsuki, Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, Volume 17, No. 4, 2008, pp. 501-523.
- 2007: “Standards and Developing Country Exports: A Review of Selected Studies and Suggestions for Future Research,” John S. Wilson, Journal of Agricultural Trade and International Development, Volume 4, No. 1, 2007, pp. 35-45.
- December 2007: “Road Infrastructure in Europe and Central Asia: Does Network Quality Affect Trade?” John S. Wilson & Benjamin A. Shepherd, Journal of Economic Integration, Volume 22, No. 4, pp. 723-747.
- August 2007: “Implementing a Trade Facilitation Agreement in the WTO: What Makes Sense?” John S. Wilson & J. Michael Finger, Pacific Economic Review Volume 12, No. 3, pp. 335-355.
- September 2006: “Trade Facilitation: Why it Matters to APEC and What Next?” John S. Wilson, ANU APEC Economies Newsletter, Volume 10, No. 9.
- 2005: “Trade Facilitation and Economic Development,” World Trade Brief, 2005, pp. 46-48.
- May 31st, 2012: Trade Facilitation at the World Bank: From Research and Insight to Action
(pdf - 8.8mb), Department for International Development (DFID), John S. Wilson
- May 17th, 2012: Inventory Approach to Improve Supply Chain Connectivity in APEC Economies (pdf - 4.8mb), Asia Pacific Public Sector Linkage Program, John S. Wilson
- May 17th, 2012: Trade Costs and Facilitation: Data and Indicators to Support Action-Oriented Research (pdf - 6.8mb), Asia Pacific Public Sector Linkage Program, John S. Wilson
- April 19th 2012: Constraints and Opportunities for Growth in the LDCs: Research to Support Action, UN Office of the High Representative for the Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Countries and Small Island Developing States (UN-OHRLLS), John S. Wilson.
- April 1, 2012: Inventory Approach to Improve Supply Chain Connectivity (pdf - 6.2mb)
APEC Symposium on Supply-Chain Connectivity Measurement Framework, Singapore, Hamid Alavi.
- March 7, 2012: Climate Change: How does it Relate to Trade and Standards? The Impact of Climate Change on Food Safety Conference, Bilbao, Spain, Department for Environment, Planning, Agriculture, and Fisheries of the Basque Government in Collaboration with the Basque Foundation for Public Health (Elika), John S. Wilson.
- February 28, 2012: Why Trade Costs Matter: Recent Work from the World Bank, Columbia University, John S. Wilson.
- November 8, 2011: The World Bank and ICT, Global Public Policy Summit 2011, Guadalajara, Mexico, John S. Wilson.
- November 29, 2011: Trade Facilitation and Trade Costs, World Agricultural Forum 2011, Brussels, Belgium, John S. Wilson.
- November 13, 2010: Export Performance and Trade Facilitation Reform: Hard and Soft Infrastructure (pdf) Latin American and Caribbean Economic Association Annual Meeting, Medellin, Colombia, Alberto Portugal and John Wilson.
- May 31, 2010: Standards and Regulation in Context (pdf) APEC CTI, Sapporo, Japan, John S. Wilson.
- October 27, 2009: Looking Beyond the Crisis: Trade Facilitation and Development (pdf) United Nations, New York, John S. Wilson, Alberto Portugal-Perez.
- September 23, 2009: The Impact of the Financial Crisis on Trade and Foreign Investment in ACP Countries: A Focus on SMEs (pdf), 13th Brussels Development Briefing, European Commission, Alberto Portugal. Video | Report of the Briefing
- June 22-24, 2009: Harmonization of Standards and Trade in Electronics, 14th EURAS Conference, Paris, Alberto Portugal-Perez & Daniel Reyes.
- May 20-22, 2009: Development Research Group - UNESCAP Regional Policy Forum on Trade Facilitation and SMEs in a Time of Crisis, Beijing, John S. Wilson, Yue Li, et al.
- May 18, 2009: Trade Facilitation Data, World Trade Organization’s Data Day, Geneva, Alberto Portugal-Perez. Trade Facilitation Data | World Trade Organization’s Data Day
- March 23, 2009: Trade Facilitation and Aid for Trade: Today’s Agenda and Investing for Tomorrow, National Board of Trade and Swedish International Development Agency, Stockholm, John S. Wilson.
- March 19, 2009: Development Research Group - World Bank Institute Seminar on “The Urgent Case for Trade Facilitation,” Geneva, Presentation on Aid for Trade Facilitation: The Crisis and Beyond. John S. Wilson.
- March 17, 2009: World Trade Organization conference on “The Role of International Standards in Economic Development, Presentation on Global Best Practice and Strategies in Standards, Geneva, Switzerland, John S. Wilson.
- February 3, 2009: IMD Responsible Leadership Summit, Panelist on “Winning Hearts and Minds: Enhancing World Prosperity through Inclusive Growth, Lausanne, Switzerland, John S. Wilson.
- April 23, 2009: Columbia University, School of International & Public Affairs, Roundtable on Trade and Transparency in East Asia & Pacific, John S. Wilson, Benjamin J. Taylor, Yue Li.
- March 12, 2009: World Bank Seminar on Weathering the Storm: Port Infrastructure & Trade in East Asia, John S. Wilson & Kazutomo Abe.
- October 1, 2008: United Nations - World Bank Conference on Landlocked Developing Countries, New York, Lead Speaker, Trade Costs, Landlocked Developing Countries, and Foreign Direct Investment, John S. Wilson.
- August 26, 2008: CEPAL Conference on Standards, Santiago, Chile (via videoconference) presentation on Standards, Trade, and Development, John S. Wilson.
- August 21, 2008: Standards and Trade: The Development Dimension (pdf - 520k), SPRING Singapore Conference, John S. Wilson.
- August 19, 2008: Asian Development Bank Institute Seminar, presentation of paper on “Transparency and Trade in the Asia Pacific,” John S. Wilson.
- June 26, 2008: Trade Facilitation and the Doha Agenda: What's at Stake? (pdf - 230k), The Cato Institute, Washington, John S. Wilson.
- June 24, 2008: Development Research Group Trade Seminar, presentation of paper on “Transparency and Welfare in the Asia Pacific” with Kazutomo Abe.
- June 20, 2008: Columbia University Roundtable on Structural Reform, presentation of paper on “Transparency and Welfare in the Asia Pacific,” New York, John S. Wilson.
- May 31, 2008: World Bank - African Economic Research Consortium conference on “Trade Costs and Development in Africa, Entebbe, Uganda, John S. Wilson, conference organizer, presentation with Alberto Portugal-Perez on “Trade Costs and Africa.
- May 27, 2008: OECD Seminar on Trade Facilitation, presentation on Trade Cost and Facilitation: What is known and what needs to be known? John S. Wilson.
- April 18, 2008: Trinity College Dublin Seminar on Trade and Standards, Dublin, John S. Wilson.
- November 1, 2007: Inter-American Development Bank Conference on WTO and the Doha Development Agenda: Current Issues and Prospects for the Latin American and Caribbean Countries, presentation on Trade Facilitation and Developing Countries: Key Issues for Consideration, Washington, John S. Wilson.
- October 23, 2007: International Trade Center, Services Roundtable, presentation on Enhanced Trade Facilitation Services and benefits to the economy, Geneva, John S. Wilson.
- October 16, 2007: World Food Law Symposium, Presentation on "Standards and Trade: Considerations in a Development Context," Washington, John S. Wilson.
- September 3, 2007: APEC Press Briefing on World Bank Research Report Release, Transparency and Trade Facilitation: The Gains to Trade and Development Impact, Sydney, John S. Wilson.
- June 28, 2007: Transparency and Trade Facilitation in the Asia Pacific: The Gains from Reform - (pdf - 345k), The World Bank, Washington, John S. Wilson.
- June 28, 2007: APEC-World Bank Workshop on Regional Integration, Transparency and Economic Development, Cairns, John S. Wilson.
- July 4, 2007: Lowy Institute Conference on Enhancing Transparency in the Multilateral Trading System, presentation on, "Transparency and Trade Facilitation in the Asia Pacific: Estimating the Gains from Reform," Sydney, John S. Wilson.
- April 21, 2007: Senior Officials' Meeting, APEC Committee on Trade and Investment, Adelaide, Presentation by John S. Wilson.
- April 18, 2007: APEC Conference on Driving Growth: APEC's Destiny, presentation on Regional Integration and Trade Facilitation Priorities and Potential Gains in the Asia Pacific, Melbourne, John S. Wilson.
- May 17, 2007: University of Sao Paulo, Workshop on Quality Technology Systems for International Trade, Piracicaba, Brazil, Presentation by John S. Wilson.
- November 3, 2005: Standards and Trade: Empirical Evidence and Case Studies (pdf - 353k), The World Bank, Washington, ERS Conference. John S. Wilson.
- September 2, 2005: Trade Facilitation and Economic Development A Focus on the Asia Pacific (pdf - 320k), APEC Symposium, Beijing, John S. Wilson.
Trade Issue Briefs
Outreach and Dissemination Activities
- June 4, 2012: European Union: The Trade Perspective
Blog Post on the Big Think by John S. Wilson
- March 17, 2012: Don't Close Taxpayers Wallets too Fast
Blog Post on the Big Think by John S. Wilson
- February 10, 2012: Is 2012 Africa's Year of the Dragon?
Let's Talk Development Blog Post by John S. Wilson
- January 7, 2011: A New Year’s Resolution: Closing the Gap on Trade Research, Lets Talk Develoment blog post by John S. Wilson
- December 13, 2010: Aid for Trade and the Least Developed Countries: Opportunities and Challenges in a Post-Crisis World, pre-conference event organized by the World Bank
- October 26, 2010: A Role for the G20 in Aid for Trade? Lets Talk Develoment blog post by John S. Wilson
- August 2010: Aid for Trade: An Action Agenda Looking Forward, Economic Premise # 25, Bernard Hoekman and John S. Wilson
- June 10, 2010: Inter-agency Consultative Group Meeting, United Nations, John S. Wilson, Head of Delegation and presentation on the World Bank Conference on Trade and the LDCs
- June 4, 2010: Korea -World Bank High-Level Conference on Post-Crisis Growth & Development - Co-hosted by the Presidential Committee for the G20 Summit and the World Bank. The conference outlined an agenda on development and G-20 priorities. A World Bank staff paper on Aid for Trade and the G-20 agenda was presented by John S. Wilson, Lead Economist (DECTI) and Bernard Hoekman, Director, International Trade Department.
- Jun 2, 2010: Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Senior Officials Steering Committee Roundtable on Aid for Trade, John S. Wilson presentation on the World Bank Agenda on Aid for Trade, Sapporo.
- May 31, 2010: Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Committee on Trade and Investment Trade Policy Dialogue - John S. Wilson presentation on Standards, Technical Barriers to Trade and Development.
- May 10, 2010: United States Agency for International Development Seminar, presentation by John S. Wilson and Alberto Portugal on “Revisiting Trade Facilitation and Export Performance,” Washington, D.C.
- January 15, 2010: World Bank - University of Toulouse, International Conference on Infrastructure Economics and Development, paper presented by John S. Wilson on “Investing in Port Infrastructure to Facilitate Trade,” Toulouse, France.
- December 11, 2009: TechAmerica, presentation on the Bank agenda on aid for trade and public private partnerships, Washington, D.C.
- December 7, 2009: International Chamber of Commerce Customs Committee, Presentation by John S. Wilson on the World Bank Aid for Trade Facilitation Project.
- November 3, 2009: Global Public Policy Summit, World Information Technology and Services Alliance, presentation by John S. Wilson on “Aid Effectiveness and Information Technology, Bermuda.
- October 4, 2009: World Bank - International Monetary Fund Annual Meetings Istanbul. Workshop organized by the Development Research Group – Trade and International Integration and PREMTR on the Aid for Trade Facilitation Project. Concluding panel chaired by Robert Zoellick, President, World Bank.
- October 29, 2009: United Nations Radio interview, John S. Wilson, Developing Countries to Benefit from New Global Trade Agenda (interviews with the UN Radio Network and MediaGlobal, a print publication of the UN, on trade and the current economic environment, with reference to the Bank’s agenda and new initiatives in trade facilitation, New York.
- October 27, 2009: United Nations - World Bank Seminar: Beyond the Crisis: Trade Facilitation and Development, presentation by John S. Wilson, New York.
- September 22 - 23, 2009: Workshop organized by the World Bank (DECTI) and World Trade Organization: “Climate Change and Agricultural Trade: Risks and Responses,” Development Research Group, Trade and International Integration, Washington, D.C.
- May 22, 2009: Press Release: Small and Medium Size Businesses Call on Asia-Pacific Governments to Reduce Hidden Trade Barriers.
- July 29, 2010: TechAmerica presentation by John S. Wilson on Aid for Trade Facilitation Partnership, Washington, D.C.
- May 2009: Fudan University, seminar presentation by John S. Wilson on the Economic Crisis, Trade Facilitation, and East Asia, Shanghai.
- May 2009: Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, seminar presentation by John S. Wilson on Trade Facilitation and Logistics in East Asia: Opportunities for Reform out of Today’s Crisis, Shanghai.
- May 20 - 22, 2009: Regional Policy Forum: Trade Facilitation and SMEs in Times of Crisis - Beijing, China. Forum Organized by the World Bank (DECTI), United Nations, and Government of China. Presentations by John S. Wilson on Trade Facilitation Priorities in the Region and Bank Operations.
- Institutional Quality, Infrastructure, and the Propensity to Export (pdf - 207)
- Rules of Origin and Firm Heterogeneity (pdf - 449k)
- World Trade Brief 2005 - Trade Facilitation and Economic Development (pdf - 549k)
- What price precaution? European harmonisation of aflatoxin regulation & African groundnut exports (pdf - 170k)
- Trade Facilitation: A Development Perspective in the Asia Pacific Region (pdf - 814k)
- Development Outreach - July 2003 (pdf - 3.7mb)
- Cutting Through Red Tape (pdf - 102k)
- Agriculture in the WTO - The Role of Product Attributes in the Agricultural Negotiations (pdf - 256k)
Last updated on August 22, 2012