This research program is about inequality in its different shapes and forms: in the world, in transition economies, and in how it effects political and economic variables.
- how within-national inequalities are affected by macro economic policies or trade
- how and why regional inequalities within countries expand or not
- the effect of transition from state-controlled to market economies on inequality
- the state of global (world-wide) inequality between world citizens.
|Contact: Branko Milanovic c/o email@example.com|
The Haves and the Have-Nots: A Brief and Idiosyncratic History of Global Inequality
January 2011 - This book taps into literature, history, current events,and other engaging questions (who was the richest person ever, for example) to explain the ever-widening gap between the have-nots, haves, and "have-mores."
Order the book | Featured Research Article | New York Times Book Review
- The return of 'patrimonial capitalism', review of Thomas Piketty's book "Capital in the 21st Century", October 2013, forthcoming in Journal of Economic Literature
- Globalization and Inequality: An Introductory Essay, January 2013
- "Global income inequality in the 21st century", Keynote speech at the Congress of the Spanish Association for Development Studies, Santander, November 2012
- "Does economic inequality set limits to EU expansion?", Conference on Sovereign Insolvency, Opatija, November 2012
- "Winners and losers of globalization", HSBC Conference, New York, November 2012
- "Global Income Inequality," IMF Training Institute, March 2010.
- "Global Income Inequality, Conference of the Institute for New Economic Thinking, Cambridge, UK, April 2010.
- Video: "Global Income Inequality," Economics Training Seminar, IMF, Part I | Part II (March 12, 2010)
Please also visit these sites:
The policy research working papers below are drawn from the World Bank's institutional archives. Each link opens a page with an abstract of the document and several download options. Choose the 'light-weight documents' option for easy download.
See other related documents for a selected list of journal articles and formally published work.