Developers of new surveys may find it useful to refer to old questionnaires as well as to guidelines on how to develop questionnaires. The following LSMS materials are available:
Guidelines for Developing Questionnaires
- Designing Household Survey Questionnaires for Developing Countries: Lessons from 15 Years of the Living Standards Measurement Study, edited by Margaret Grosh and Paul Glewwe, covers key topics in the design of household surveys with many suggestions for customizing surveys to local circumstances and improving data quality.
- A manual for planning and implementing the living standards measurement study survey contains a chapter on developing questionnaires. It covers the institutional processes and formatting issues in detail.
- Guidelines for adapting the LSMS living standards questionnaires to local conditions provides general guidelines for adapting the content of questionnaires to new settings.
- Model living standards measurement study survey questionnaire for the countries of the former Soviet Union updates the previous paper and uses examples specific to the former Soviet Union.
- Two research papers on improving the policy relevance of LSMS surveys: "The sensitivity of consumption aggregates to questionnaire formulation: some preliminary evidence from the Jamaican and Ghanaian LSMS Surveys" and "Review of the agricultural activities module from the Living Standards Measurement Study (LSMS) Survey".
Three questionnaires are available in annotated form in the LSMS Working Paper Series.
- The Kagera questionnaire (Measuring the Impact of Fatal Adult Illness in Sub-Saharan Africa : An Annotated Household Questionnaire) was designed to study the impact of adult mortality in a region of Tanzania. The questionnaire puts more emphasis than the "prototypical" LSMS on intrahousehold issues, morbidity, mortality, health care utilization and expenditures, transfers and child fostering and is therefore more complex than most LSMS questionnaires.
- The Model Living Standards Measurement Study Survey Questionnaire for the Countries of the Former Soviet Union (Model Living Standards Measurement Study Survey Questionnaire for the Countries of the former Soviet Union) was drafted as a starting point for those working on questionnaires in former Soviet republics. The first round of adaptations to a transition economy has been made, but further adaptations to specific settings are required. The questionnaires and guidelines for required adaptations are available in Russian and English in Word format.
- The Côte d'Ivoire 1985 questionnaire (Measuring and Analyzing Levels of Living in Developing Countries : An Annotated Questionnaire) was the first "prototypical" LSMS survey.
Questionnaires Available for Download
Questionnaires are available for download for the countries where LSMS surveys have been conducted.