The workbook file containing the data has five pages:
- Contribution of small and medium enterprises to employment shares
- Contribution to employment shares by size class
- Contribution to employment shares by age
- Job creation as a share of total job creation by size class
- Job creation as a share of total job creation by age
In the dataset, the authors have constructed 6 definitions of SMEs to correspond to varying upper limits in the official country definitions of SMEs adopted around the world – SME100, SME150, SME200, SME250, SME300, and SME500. The numeric component refers to the number of permanent full-time employees in a year for the establishments included in the dataset.
In the first page of the worksheet, an additional reporting category is included: SME250_Manufacturing. This column reports the share of manufacturing SMEs with 250 employees or less as a share of total manufacturing employment.