Kym Anderson and Johanna Croser, “National and Global Agricultural Trade and Welfare Reduction Indexes, 1955 to 2007”, World Bank, Washington DC, April 2009, at www.worldbank.org/agdistortions.
This database produces original trade- and welfare-reduction indexes developed from the trade restrictiveness index literature that James Anderson and Peter Neary pioneered during the 1990s, and by using the NRA and CTE estimates for each focus country in the core database, along with value of production and consumption at undistorted prices for each product.
The working papers wps4864 and wps4865 working papers listed above serve as the "methodology papers" for this extra database.
The file contains, among others, the following variables:
- Trade reduction indexes by country, all covered tradable products and some subsets
- Welfare reduction indexes by country, all covered tradable products and some subsets
- Commodity contributions to the country-specific WRI
- Commodity-specific global trade reduction indexes
- Commodity-specific global welfare reduction indexes
- Country contributions to the commodity-specific TRI
- Country contributions to the commodity-specific WRI
- Value of production at undistorted prices for each covered product and country
- Value of consumption at undistorted prices for each covered product and country