W. Maloney - Other Publications
- "Does Formality Improve Micro-Firm Performance? Quasi-Experimental Evidence from the Brazilian SIMPLES program," with P. Fajnyzlber and G. Montes, Journal of Development Economics, 2010.
- “Trade Policy, Income Risk and Welfare” with T. Krebs and P. Krishna, Review of Economics and Statistics, 2010.
- "Labor Dynamics in Developing Countries: Comparative Analysis using Continuous Time Markov Processes," (World Bank Working Paper 3583, 2005), in Labour Economics, 2010.
- "Informal Self Employment and Macroeconomic Fluctuations” with N. Fiess, M. Fugazza, Journal of Development Economics, 2010.
- “Can Foreign Lobbying Enhance Development? The Case of Tourism in the Caribbean," with K. Gawande and G. Montes, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper No.4275, 2007. Forthcoming in Journal of Development Economics.
- “The Missing Resource Curse” with D. Lederman, Economia (forthcoming)
- “Does Formality Improve Micro-Firm Performance? Quasi-Experimental Evidence from the Brazilian SIMPLES program” with P. Fajnyzlber and G. Montes, Journal of Development Economics (forthcoming).
- “Releasing Constraints to Growth or Pushing on a String? Policies and Performance of Mexican Micro-Firms" with P. Fajnzylber and G. Montes, Journal of Development Studies (forthcoming).
- “Innovation Shortfalls” with A. Rodriguez Clare, Review of Development Economics 2007.
- “Micro-Firm Dynamics in Less Developed Countries: How Similar Are They to Those in the Industrialized World? Evidence from Mexico” with P. Fajnzybler and G. Montes Rojas, World Bank Economic Review, 2006.
- “Toward an Efficient Innovation Policy in Latin America”/ “Hacia una Politica Eficiente de Innovación en America Latina” with G. Perry, ECLAC/CEPAL Review, 2005.
- “Spatial Dimensions of Trade Liberalization and Economic Convergence: Mexico 1985–2002” with P. Aroca and M. Bosch. World Bank Economic Review, 2005.
- “Migration, Trade, and Foreign Direct Investment in Mexico,” with P. Aroca, World Bank Economic Review, 2005
- “Labor Demand and Trade Liberalization in Latin America” with P. Fajnzylber, Journal of International Economics, 2005.
- “How Elastic are Sea, Sand and Sun? Dynamic Panel Estimates of the Demand for Tourism” with G. Montes, Applied Economics Letters, 2005.
- "Who Suffered in the Mexican Crisis 1994-95, an Application of Quantile Analysis” with W. Cunningham and M. Bosch, World Bank Economic Review, 2004.
- “Informality Revisited” World Development, 2004. Earlier version “Informalidad” in special issue on informality in El Mercado de Valores, Nacional Financiera, Mexico City 2000.
- “Missed Opportunities: Innovation and Resource Based Growth in Latin America” Economía, 2002. In Spanish in G. Lagos ed. Mineria y Desarrollo, Foro en Economia de Minerales, vol III. 2005. Also in Lederman and Maloney eds. Natural Resources: Neither Curse Nor Destiny 2006.
- “Second Moments in Speculative Attack Models: Panel Evidence” with A. Galindo, Journal of International Economics, 2002.
- “Self-Employment and Labor Turnover: Cross-Country Evidence” Economists Forum, 2001 World Bank.
- “Heterogeneity in Informal Self-Employment: An Application of Factor and Cluster Analysis,” with W. Cunningham, Economic Development and Cultural Change, 2002.
- “Does Informality Imply Segmentation in Urban Labor Markets? Evidence from Sectoral Transitions in Mexico,” World Bank Economic Review, vol 13, 1999.
- “Exchange Rate Uncertainty and the Law of One Price,” Review of International Economics, Vol 7 1999.
- “Financial and Capital Market Liberalization in the Pacific Basin: Korea and Taiwan during the 1980s,” with M. Chinn, International Economic Journal, Spring, 1998. Also National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper #5814.
- “Emerging Equity Markets: Are They for Real?,” with K. Hargis, Journal of Financial Research, 1997.
- “Testing Capital Account Liberalization Without Forward Rates: Another Look at Chile 1979-1982,” Journal of Development Economics. 1997. Also in Revista del Banco Central de Venezuela, Vol 7, 1992.
- “Neo-Liberalism and Income Distribution in Latin America” with W. Baer, World Development, 1997. Also in Spanish in the Revista Paraguaya de Sociología (Paraguay) and in German in the RADEIN Papers, Marburg, (Germany), Revista de Política Económica (Brazil).
- “Trade Reform, Uncertainty and Export Promotion: Mexico, 1982-1988” with R. Azevedo, Journal of Development Economics, 1995. Also in Spanish in Coyuntura Económica, (Colombia), 1992.
- “Optimal Sequencing of Credible Reforms with Uncertain Outcomes,” with J. P. Conley, Journal of Development Economics, 1995, pp. 151-166.
- "Barriers to the Development of the Polish Banking Sector in the 1990s, and to the Increasing Integration of the Household Sector,” with A. Z. Nowak, Journal of Interdisciplinary Economics, 1994.
Other Recent Working Papers
- "Mexican Labor Markets: Protection, Productivity, and Power" in No Growth without Equity?: Inequality, Interests and Competition in Mexico, M. Walton and S. Levy (eds.), Palgrave-Macmillan/World Bank publication 2008.
- “Self Employment in LDCs” with W. Cunningham and P. Aroca, in Economic Policy and Performance in Latin America, H. Esfahani, G. Facchini, and G.Hewings (eds.), Palgrave/Macmillan. 2008.
- Informality: Exit and Exclusion with G. Perry, O. Arias and J. Saavedra, World Bank 2007.
- Neither Curse Nor Destiny: Natural Resources and Development, with D. Lederman (eds.), Stanford University Press, 2006.
- “Trade Structure and Growth” with D. Lederman in Neither Curse Nor Destiny: Natural Resources and Development, D. Lederman and W. Maloney (eds.), Stanford University Press, 2006.
- Poverty Reduction and Growth: Virtuous and Vicious Circles with G. Perry, O. Arias, J. H. Lopez and L Serven. World Bank 2006.
- Pobreza e Crecimento:Circulos Virtuosos y Viciosos en J. Reis Velloso, Por que o Brasil nao e um Pais de Alto Crescimento, Forum Nacional, 2006.
- "Risk, Welfare and Human Capital" with P. Krishna and T. Krebs Essays in Honor of J Baghwati, MIT Press, 2006.
- “Innovation in Mexico: NAFTA is Not Enough” with D. Lederman, in Global Intergration and Tech Transfer, B. Hoekman and B Jovorcik (eds.), Palgrave/MacMillan, 2006.
- “NAFTA after 10 Years: Lessons for Developing Countries” with D. Lederman and L. Serven in Trade, Doha, and Development: Window into the Issues, R. Newfarmer (ed.), World Bank, 2006.
- Lessons from NAFTA with D. Lederman, and L. Serven, Stanford University Press, 2005.
- “Measuring the Impact of Minimum Wages” with J. Nuñez in Law and Labor Markets: Lessons from Latin America, J. Heckman and C. Pages (eds.),National Bureau of Economic Research and University of Chicago Press, 2004. Also NBER working paper 9800.
- Flexibilidad Laboral” in Crecimeinto Economico y la Globalizacion. Joint Mexican Senate/Central Bank volume on reform challenges in Mexico , 2003.
- “An Alternative View of Informality” with W. Cunningham in The Third Dimension of Labor Markets, Demand, Supply and Institutions in Brazil, F. Carneiro, I Gill and R Paes de Barros (eds.), 2006.
- Closing the Gaps in Education and Technology with D. De Ferranti, G Perry and others, World Bank, 2002. Also in Spanish.
- “Informal Self-Employment: Poverty Trap or Decent Alternative” in G. Fields and G. Pfeffermann, Pathways Out of Poverty, Private Firms and Economic Mobility in Developing Countries, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston.
- From Natural Resources to the Knowledge Economy with D. De Ferranti, G. Perry and D. Lederman, World Bank 2001. Also in Spanish. Synthesis “De Los Recursos Naturales a la Economía del Conocimiento Foreign Affairs en Español, Spring 2002.
- “Mexican Labor Markets” in Mexico, A Comprehensive Development Agenda for the New Era, (M. Giugale, O. Lafourcade and V. Nguyen eds.), World Bank 2001.
- Securing Our Future in a Global Economy with D. De Ferranti, G Perry and others, World Bank, 2000. Also in Spanish.
- “Chilean Economic History in the Post-War Period,” in The Political Economy of Latin America in the Post War Period, L. Randall (ed.), University of Texas Press, 1998.
- “Estructura del Mercado de Trabajo en Paises Menos Desarollados: Evidencia de Series de Tiempo sobre Diferentes Perspectivas” in Secretaria del Trobajo y Prevision Social, Mexico, Memoria del III Seminario de Investigacion Laboral: El Sector Informal, Mexico City 1997.
- “Heterogeneidad en Empresa a Pequena Escala en Paises Menos Desarrollados: El Caso de Mexico” with W. Cunningham in Secretaria del Trobajo y Prevision Social, Mexico, Memoria del III Seminario de Investigacion Laboral: El Sector Informal, Mexico City 1997.
- “Privatization with Share Diffusion: Popular Capitalism in Chile,” in Privatization in Latin America, New Roles for the Public and Private Sectors, W. Baer and M. Birch (eds.) Praeger, 1994.
- "Income Risk, Income Mobility and Welfare," with Tom Krebs, and Pravin Krishna, World Bank, Working paper 6254, October 2012.
- "Heterogeneity in Subjective Wellbeing : An Application to Occupational Allocation in Africa," with Bob Rijkers, Mauricio Sarrias and Paolo Falco, World Bank, Working paper 6244, October 2012
- "The Persistence of (subnational) Fortune : Geography, Agglomeration, and Institutions in the New World," with Felipe Valencia Ciacedo, World Bank, Working paper 6187, September 2012.
- “Mobility, Risk and Social Welfare,” with P. Krishna and T. Krebs, mimeo.
- ““Patenting and R&D Efficiency: A Global View,” with D. Lederman and M. Bosch, mimeo 2004.
- “Distortion and Protection in the Mexican Labor Market,” Center for Research on Economic Development and Policy Reform, Stanford University, Working paper 138, June 2002.