J. Wilson - Other Publications
“Transparency, Trade Costs, and Regional Integration in the Asia-Pacific”, with M. Helble and B. Shepherd, The World Economy, (forthcoming).
“Standards and Export Decisions: Firm-level Evidence from Developing Countries,” with M. Chen and T. Otsuki, Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, (forthcoming).
"Road Infrastructure in Europe and Central Asia: Does Network Quality Affect Trade?” with B. Shepherd, Journal of Economic Integration, Vol. 22, No. 4, December 2007, pp. 723-747.
“Standards and Developing Country Exports: A Review of Selected Studies and Suggestions for Future Research, Journal of Agricultural Trade and International Development, Volume 4, No. 1, 2007, pp. 35-45.
"Implementing a Trade Facilitation Agreement in the WTO: What Makes Sense?”. with J. M. Finger, Pacific Economic Review 12(3): 5-355, 2007.
"Assessing the Benefits of Trade Facilitation: A Global Perspective,” with T. Otsuki and C. Mann, The World Economy 28(6): 841-871, 2005.
“To Spray or Not to Spray: Pesticides, Banana Exports, and Food Safety" with T. Otsuki, Food Policy 29(2): 131-146, 2004.
“Balancing Food Safety and Risk: Do Drug Residue Limits Affect Trade in Beef?” with B. Majumdsar and T. Otsuki, Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, Volume 12 (4) pp. 377-402, 2003.
“Trade Facilitation and Economic Development: A New Approach to Measuring the Impact.” with C. Mann and T. Otsuki, World Bank Economic Review 17(3): 367-389, 2003.
"Food Safety and Trade: Winners and Losers in a Non-Harmonized World." with T. Otsuki, Journal of Economic Integration 18(2): 266-287, 2003.
"Trade and Standards: A Look at Central America" with G. Hufbauer and B. Kotschwar, The World Economy, Vol. 25, pp. 991-1018, 2002.
"Saving Two in a Billion: Quantifying the Trade Effect of European Food Safety Standards on African Exports" with T. Otsuki and M. Sewadeh, Food Policy, #26, 2001.
"What Price Precaution? European Harmonization of Aflatoxin Regulations and African Food Exports.” with T. Otsuki and M. Sewadeh, European Review of Agricultural Economics 28, 2001.
"The New Trade Agenda: Technology, Standards, and Technical Barriers," SAIS Review, 16(1), 1996.
Trade Facilitation and Development, with J. Maur (ed.), Edward Elgar (forthcoming).
The WTO and Technical Barriers to Trade, with S. Henson (ed.), Edward Elgar, 2005.
Standards and Global Trade: A Voice for Africa, with V. O. Abiola (ed.), Washington, D.C.: World Bank, 2003.
Quantifying the Impact of Technical Barriers to Trade: Can It Be Done, with K. Maskus (ed.), Studies in International Economics Series , Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press 2001.
Chapters in Books
- "Information Technology, Standards, and Development " in Opening Standards: The Global Politics of Interoperability, L. DeNardis and E. Katz (eds.), MIT Press, forthcoming.
- “Cutting Trade Costs and Improved Business Facilitation in South Asia,” with T. Otsuki, in South Asia Growth and Regional Integration, S. Ahmed and E. Ghani (eds.) New Dehli: Macmillan India Ltd. 2007
- "Trade Faciltiation Reform and International Trade. The Case of Mexico." with A. Mejia and I. Soloaga, in Políticas Públicas para el Crecimiento y Desarrollo, A. Ortega Venzor, J.L. Paz Vega and R. Nuñez Gonzalez (eds.), Mexico City: Editorial Porrua SA de CV. 2007.
- "Introduction: A Review of Key Issues" with S. Henson, in The WTO and Technical Barriers to Trade, S. Henson and J. Wilson (eds.), Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing Limited 2005.
- "Trade Facilitation and Standards in Sub-Saharan Africa: An Overiew.,” with V. O. Abiola, in Standards and Trade: A Voice for Africa, J. Wilson and V. Abiola (eds.), Washington, D.C.: World Bank, 2003.
- "Balancing Risk Reduction and Benefits from Trade in Setting Standards" with T. Otsuki, in Overcoming Water Scarity and Quality Constraints, L. Unnevehr (ed.), Washington, D.C.: International Food Policy Research Institute, 2003.
- "Standards, Regulation and Trade: WTO Rules and Developing Country Concerns." in Development, Trade and the WTO: A Handbook, B. Hoekman, P. English and A. Mattoo (eds.), Washington, D.C.: World Bank, 2002.
- "An Empirical Framework for Analyzing Technical Regulations and Trade" with K. Maskus and T. Otsuki, in Quantifying the Impact of Technical Barriers to Trade: Can It Be Done?, K. Maskus and J. Wilson (eds.), University of Michigan Press, 2001.
- "A Review of Past Attempts and the New Policy Context,” with K. Maskus in Quantifying the Impact of Technical Barriers to Trade: Can It Be Done?, K. Maskus and J. Wilson (eds.): University of Michigan Press, 2001.
- "Measuring the Effect of Food Safety Standards on African Exports to Europe." with T. Otsuki and M. Sewadeh, in The Economics of Quarantine and the SPS Agreement, K. Anderson, C. McRae and D. Wilson (eds.), Centre for International Economic Studies, Adelaide and AFFA Biosecurity Australia, Canberra, 2000.
- “Regulatory Reform, Trade, and Telecommunications Goods and Services,” in Regulatory Reform in the Global Economy: Asian and Latin American Perspectives (Paris: Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development), June 1998.
- "Technical Regulations and Trade: New Developments and the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation Forum”, in Japan’s Technical Standards: Implications for Global Trade and Competitiveness, J. McIntyre (ed.), (Greenwood Publishing), 1997.
- “Telecommunications Liberalization: The Goods and Services Connection” in Unfinished Business: Telecommunications after the Uruguay Round, G. Hufbauer and E. Wada (eds.), Institute for International Economics, 1997.
- "Standards, Conformity Assessment, and Trade: New Developments and the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation Forum,” in Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation: Theory and Policy, R. Hooley, M. Dutta, A. Nasution, and M. Pangestu (eds.), Greenwich CT: JAI Press Inc., 1996.
- "Eliminating Barriers to Trade in Telecommunications and Information Technology Goods and Services: Next Steps in Multilateral and Regional Liberalization Efforts,” in Regulatory Reform and International Market Openness, Paris: Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, November 1996.
- “Technology and Industrial Modernization in Mexico," in Aspectos Tecnologicos de la Modernizacion Industrial de Mexico, Fundo de Cultura Economica, March 1995.
- “New Developments in International Standards and Global Trade: A Conference Summary,”with J. Godfrey and H. Grell-Lawe, in Board on Science, Technology, and Economic Policy ed., Standards, Conformity Assessment, and Trade: Into the 21st Century,Washington D.C.: National Academy Press, 1995.
"Trade Facilitation and Development,” in Princeton Encyclopedia of the World Economy, Princeton: Princeton University Press, forthcoming.
"Technical Barriers to Trade,” in Princeton Encyclopedia of the World Economy, Princeton: Princeton University Press, forthcoming.
“The Economic Impact of Improving Transparency in the Asia Pacific: A Computable General Equilibrium Model Approach” with K. Abe, World Bank Working Paper (forthcoming).
Transparency and Trade Facilitation in the Asia Pacific: Estimating the Gains from Reform, Barton, A.C.T.: The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, with B. Shepherd and M. Helble. 2007.
“Trade Facilitation: Challenges and Opportunities in Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union,” in From Disintegration to Reintegration: Europe and the Former Soviet Union in International Trade, World Bank 2006.
“Trade Facilitation Reform and Competitiveness,” Competitiveness,” with I. Soloaga and A. Mejia, in Mexico Competitiveness: Reaching its Potential, World Bank, March 2006.
"Trade Facilitation: Why it Matters to APEC and What Next”, APEC Economies Newsletter, Australian National University, September 2006.
"Trade Facilitation and Economic Development" World Trade Brief 46-48, 2005.
“Trade and Transport Facilitation: European Accession and Capacity Building Priorities,” with X. Luo and H.. Broadman, European Conference of Ministers of Transport and OECD Research Center, 2005.
“Standards and Agricultural Trade: A Primer and Background Readings,” with S. Henson, 2003 (mimeo).
“Balancing Risk Reduction and Benefits from Trade in Setting Standards,” with T. Otsuki, 2020 Vision Briefs, 10 No. 6, IFPRI, 2003.
“Reducing Transport Costs in an Era of Security”, with S. Bagai, C. Fink, in Global Economic Prospects 2004: Realizing the Development Promise of the Doha Agenda, Chapter Five (The World Bank), 2003.
“Trade Facilitation: A Development Perspective in the Asia-Pacific Region Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation,” with C. Mann, Y. Woo, N. Assanie and I. Choi, Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation, 2002.
“Bridging the Standards Divide: Recommendations for Reform from a Development Perspective,” background paper, The World Development Report 2002: Building Institutions for Markets, The World Bank, September 2001.
"Agriculture in the WTO: The Role of Product Attributes in the Agricultural Negotiations”, with D. Roberts, L. Unnevehr, J. Caswell, I. Sheldon, T. Otsuki, and D. Orden, International Cultural Trade Research Consortium, Commission Paper #17, 2001.
"The Development Challenge in Trade: Sanitary and Phytosanitary Standards”, Paper for the WTO Sanitary and Phytosanitary Standards Committee, June 2000.
Cutting through Red Tape: New Directions for APEC's Trade Facilitation Agenda, with Y. Woo, Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada,Vancouver: APEC, 2000.
“Regulatory Reform, Trade, and Telecommunications Goods and Services,” in Regulatory Reform in the Global Economy: Asian and Latin American Perspectives, Paris: Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, June 1998