- “Barriers to Household Risk Management: Evidence from India” with Cole, Shawn, Xavier Gine, Jeremy Tobacman, Petia Topalova, Robert Townsend and James Vickery. American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, forthcoming.
- "Being surveyed can change later behavior and related parameter estimates," with A. Zwane, J. Zinman, E. Van Dusen, W. Pariente, C. Null, E. Miguel, M. Kremer, D. Karlan, R. Hornbeck, E. Duﬂo, F. Devoto, B. Crepon and A. Banerjee, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 108(5), pp. 1821-1826, February 2011.
- "Access to Capital in Rural Thailand: An Estimated Model of Formal vs. Informal Credit" Journal of Development Economics, 96 (2011): 16-29.
Also published as a World Bank Policy Research Working Paper February, 2009.
- "Eliciting Probabilistic Expectations with Visual Aids in Developing Countries: How sensitive are answers to variations in elicitation design?" with A. Delavande and D. McKenzie, Journal of Applied Economics, 26(3) (2011); 479-497.
- "Measuring Subjective Expectations in Developing Countries: A Critical Review and New Evidence" with A. Delavande and D. McKenzie, Journal of Development Economics, 94 (2011):151-13.
"Microfinance Games," with P. Jakiela, D. Karlan, and J. Morduch, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 2(3): 60-95, 2010.
"Finding Missing Markets (and a disturbing epilogue): Evidence from an Export Crop Adoption and Marketing Intervention in Kenya," with N. Ashraf and D. Karlan. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 91(4): 973-990, 2009.
"Insurance, Credit, and Technology Adoption: Field Experimental Evidence from Malawi," with D. Yang. Journal of Development Eonomics, 89(1): 1-11, 2009.
Also published as a World Bank Policy Research Working Paper December, 2007.
"Patterns of Rainfall Insurance Participation in Rural India," with R.Townsend, and J.Vickery. World Bank Economic Review, 22(3): 539-566, 2008.
Statistical Analysis of Rainfall Insurance Payouts in Southern India," with R.Townsend and J. Vickery, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 89(5): 1248-1254, 2007.
Chapters in Books
"Use of Biometric Technology in Developing Countries" with J. Goldberg, S. Sankaranarayanan, P. Sheerin, and D. Yang, in Robert Cull, Asli Demirgüç-Kunt and Jonathan Morduch “Banking the World: Empirical Foundations of Financial Inclusion”, MIT Press, Fall 2012.
- "Microinsurance: A Case Study of the Indian Rainfall Index Insurance Market" with L. Menand, R. Townsend and J. Vickery, in Handbook of the Indian Economy, Ghate and Chetan (eds.), forthcoming: Oxford University Press.
- "Rainfall Insurance in Semi-Arid India: Contract Design, Household Participation and Future Prospects" with R. Townsend and J. Vickery, in Weather Risk Management, Tang, K. (ed.) 2010.
"Wealth Constrained Occupation Choice and the Impact of Financial Reforms on the Distribution of Income and Macro Growth" with R. Townsend, in Toolkit for Evaluating the Poverty and Distributional Impact of Economic Policies II, F. Bourguignon and L. Pereira da Silva (eds.). The World Bank, June 2008.
"Evaluation of Financial Liberalization", with R. M. Townsend, in Macroeconomic Policies and Poverty Reduction, A. Mody and C. Pattillo (eds.), London:Routledge, January 2006.
- "Commitments to Save: A Field Experiment in Rural Malawi" with L. Bruhne, J. Goldberg and D. Yang, May 2012.
- "Together We Will: Experimental Evidence on Female Voting Behavior in Pakistan", with G. Mansuri, August 2012.
- "How Accurate are Recall Data? Evidence from costal India" with Francesca de Nicola, March 2012.
- "Strategic Default in Joint Liability Groups: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in India" with Karuna Krishnaswamy, and Alejandro Ponce, November 2011.
- "Intertemporal Substitution or Reference Dependent Preferences? Evidence from Daily Labor supply of Southern Indian Fishermen", with Monica Martinez-Bravo and Marian Vidal-Fernandez.
- "Money or Ideas? A Field Experiment on Constraints to Entrepreneurship in Rural Pakistan" with Ghazala Mansuri, September 2011.
- "Revising Commitments: Field Evidence on the Adjustment of Prior Choices" with J. Goldberg, D. Silverman and D. Yang, May 2012.
"Barriers to Household Risk Management: Evidence from India," with S. Cole, J. Tobacman, P. Topalova, R. Townsend, and J. Vickery, mimeo, March 2011. Appendix
- "Group versus Individual Liability: Long Term Evidence from Philippine Microcredit Lending Groups" with D. Karlan. June 2011.
- "Rational Expectations? Evidence from Planting Decisions in Semi-Arid India," with R.Townsend, and J.Vickery, mimeo, August 2008.
"Land Security in Rural Thailand: Evidence from a Property Rights Reform," (an earlier version entitled "Cultivate or Rent Out? Land Security in Rural Thailand" published as World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 3734, July 2005), revised March 2007.
"Financing a New Technology in Small-scale Fishing: the Dynamics of a Linked Product and Credit Contract," with S. Klonner, mimeo 2003.
- "After the MFI Crisis: Assessing the role of government-led microcredit alternatives" with J. de la Torre and T. Vishwanath, Economic and Political Weekly, 47(18): pp.73-77, 2012.
- Peer Monitoring and Enforcement: Long Term Evidence from Microcredit Lending Groups with and without Group Liability," with D. Karlan, mimeo, January 2008.
"Evaluating Microfinance Program Innovation with Randomized Control Trails: An Example from Group Versus Individual Lending," with T. Harigaya, D. Karlan, B. T. Nguyen, ERD Technical Note #16, Asian Development Bank, 2006.
"Weather Insurance in Semi-Arid India," with H. Bie Lilleor, R. Townsend and J. Vickery, 2005.
Finance and PSD Impact Notes