S. Martinez Peria - Other Publications
Bank Lending to Small Businesses in Latin America: Does Bank Origin Matter? with G. Clarke, R. Cull, and S. Sánchez, Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, 37(1), 83-118. 2005.
Did the Basel Accord Cause a Credit Slowdown in Latin America? Comment, Economia, 5(1), 176-178. 2004.
- How Foreign Participation and Bank Concentration Impact Bank Spreads: Evidence from Latin America, with A. Mody, Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, 36(3), part 2, 511-518. 2004.
"Gaucho Banking Redux", Comment, Economia, 3 (2), 35-37. 2003.
Banking Crises and Exchange Rate Regimes: Is There a Link? with I. Domaç, Journal of International Economics, 61(1), 41-72. 2003.
Foreign Bank Entry: Experience, Implications for Developing Countries and Agenda for Further Research with G. Clarke, R. Cull, and S. M. Sánchez, World Bank Research Observer, 18 (1), 25-59. 2003.
Is the Crisis Problem Growing More Severe? with M. Bordo, B. Eichengreen, and D. Klingebiel, Economic Policy, 32, 51-82. 2001.
Financial Fragility and Mexico’s 1994 Peso Crisis: An Event-Window Analysis of Market Valuation Effects. Comment, Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, 32(3), 469-473. 2000.
Chapters in Books
“Foreign Bank Participation in Developing Countries: What Do We Know About the Drivers and Consequences of this Phenomenon?,” with R. Cull. In Encyclopedia of Financial Globalization, G. Caprio, ed., Elsevier, Forthcoming.
“Drivers and Obstacles to Banking SMEs: The Role of Competition and the Institutional Framework,” with A. de la Torre and S. Schmukler. In Reforming Rules and Regulations, V. Ghosal, ed., MIT Press, Forthcoming.
“Banking in Developing Nations of Asia: Overview of Recent Changes in Ownership Structure,” with L. Klapper and B. Zia. In Handbook of Banking, A. Berger, P. Molyneux, and J. Wilson, eds., Oxford University Press, 2010.
“How Do Banks Serve SMEs? Business and Risk Management Models,” with A. de la Torre, M., Politi, S., Schmukler, and Vanasco, V. In Investing Private Capital in Emerging and Frontier Market Small and Medium Enterprises, B. Leleux and A. L. Orlick, eds., IMD and IFC, 2009.
“Banks and Small and Medium Enterprises: Recent Business Developments,” with A. de la Torre and S. Schmukler. Q Finance, The Ultimate Resource, Bloombury Publishing, 2009.
“Bank Financing to SMEs: What are Africa’s Specificities?,” Private Sector & Development Magazine. Issue (1). 2009.
“Bank Financing for SMEs around the World: Drivers, Obstacles, Business Models, and Lending Practices,” with T. Beck and A. Demirguc-Kunt, AccessFinance Newsletter. 2009.
“Do Remittances Affect Recipients’ Financial Development?,” with Y. Mascaró, and F. Moizeszowicz. In Remittances and Development: Lessons from Latin America, P. Fajnzylber and J. H. Lopez, eds., The World Bank, 2008.
“Crises as Catalysts for Foreign Bank Activity in Emerging Markets,” with R. Cull. In Power and Politics after Financial Crises: Rethinking Foreign Opportunism in Emerging Markets, J. Robertson, ed., Palgrave Macmillan, 2008.
Comment on B. Armendáriz de Aghion and J. Morduch, “The Economics of Microfinance,” Journal of International Economics 70, 328-333, 2006.
- "Avoiding Disaster: Policies to Reduce the Risk of Banking Crises", with G. Caprio, in Monetary Policy and Exchange Rate Regimes: Options for the Middle East, E. Cardoso and A. Galal (eds.), The Egyptian Center for Economic Studies, Cairo, Egypt. 2002.
- Banking Services for Everyone? Barriers to Bank Access and Use Around the World, with T. Beck and A. Demirgüç-Kunt. 2006.
- Firm Financing in India: Recent Trends and Patterns, with I. Love, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 3476. 2005.
- Market Discipline under Systemic Risk: Evidence from Bank Runs in Emerging Economies, with E. Levy-Yeyati, and S. Schmukler, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 3440. 2004.
- Does Foreign Bank Penetration Reduce Access to Credit in Developing Countries? Evidence from Asking Borrowers, with G. Clarke and R. Cull, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 2716. 2001.
- Stress Testing of Financial Systems: A Review of the Issues, Methodologies, and FSAP Experiences, with W. Blaschke, M. Jones, and G. Majnoni, IMF Working Paper Series 01/88. 2001.