K. Hoff - Other Publications
- "Making up People: Behavioral Effects on Caste", with Priyanka Pandey, World Bank Policy Working Paper 6223. October 2012.
- Tastes, Castes, and Culture: The Influence on Society on Preferences, with Ernt Fehr, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 5760. August 2011.
Economic Journal November 2011 (forthcoming).
- Caste and Punishment: The Legacy of Caste Culture in Norm Enforcement, Economic Journal November 2011 (forthcoming).
- "Fairness in Modern Society", Science 327 (5972), 1467-68. March 2010.
- "Spite and Development", with E. Fehr and M. Kshetramade, American Economic Review, Papers & Proceedings 98(2), 494-99. May 2008.
- "Equilibrium Fictions: A Cognitive Approach to Societal Rigidity". American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings. 2010.
Also published as "The Role of Cognitive Frames in Societal Rigidity and Change: (2011), and NBER working paper w15776
- Homeownership, Community Interactions, and Segregation,with A. Sen, American Economics Review 95(4), 1167-1189. September 2005.
- Unpublished appendix, "A More General Model of Contracting between a Household and Real Estate Company“
- Opportunity is Not Everything: How Belief Systems and Mistrust Shape Responses to Economic Incentives with P. Pandey Economics of Transition 13 (2), Special issue on Institutions and Economic Performance, 445-472. July 2005.
- "Discrimination, Social Identity, and Durable Inequalities", with P. Pandey, American Economic Review, Papers & Proceedings, 206-211. May 2006.
Earlier published as Belief Systems and Durable Inequalities: An Experimental Investigation of Indian Caste, with P. Pandey, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 3351. June 2004.
- "Poverty Traps", with S. Bowles, S. Durlauf (eds.), March 2004, Princeton University Press. 2006.
- Review: Journal of Economic Literature, by D. Aaronson, Vol. XLIV, pp. 1054-1056. Dec. 2006.
- Review, by David McKenzie, World Bank.
- Paths of Institutional Development: A View from Economic History, World Bank Research Observer 18(2) Fall 2003, 2205-226. Fall 2003
- Beyond Rosenstein-Rodan: The Modern Theory of Coordination Problems in Development, Proceedings of the Annual World Bank Conference on Development Economics 2000,Washington, D.C.: World Bank, 145-188. 2001.
- Modern Economic Theory and Development, with J.Stiglitz, in Frontiers of Development Economics, G. Meier and J.E. Stiglitz (eds.), Oxford University Press, 389-459. 2001.
- International Encyclopedia of Business and Management, 2nd edition, with J. Stiglitz, Malcolm Warner (ed.), London : Berkshire House, pp. 6041-6054. 2001.
- "The Kin System as a Poverty Trap?" with A. Sen, in Poverty Traps, S. Bowles, S. Durlauf, and K. Hoff (eds.), Dearborn Publishers. 2001.
- Comment on R. Kanbur and N. Lustig, Why Is Inequality Back on the Agenda, Annual World Bank Conference on Development Economics 1999, Washington DC : World Bank, 307-13. 2000.
- Comment on A. Banerjee, Land Reforms: Prospects and Strategies, Annual World Bank Conference on Development Economics 1999, Washington DC : World Bank, pp. 275-284. 2000.
- Coordination Failures, Annual Bank Conference on Development Economics, May 2000.
- The Economics of Rural Organization: Theory, Practice, and Policy, with A. Braverman and J. Stiglitz (eds.). Oxford University Press, 1993.
- "Review of The Economics of Rural Organization", by D. Ray, in Journal of Economic Literature 32. Dec. 1994.
- "Market Failures and the Distribution of Wealth: A Perspective from the Economics of Information", Politics and Society 24, 411-432. 1996.
- Reprinted in Recasting Egalitarianism: New Rules for Communities, States, and Markets, S. Bowles and H. Gintis (eds.), Verso, ch. 16. 1998.
- Translated into Portuguese: Distribuicao de Riqueza e Crescimento Economico, Estudos Nead 2, Brasilia, Brazil, NEAD, 61-94. 2000.
- "Non-Leaky Buckets: Optimal Redistributive Taxation and Agency Costs", with A. Lyon, Journal of Public Economics 58, 365-90. 1995.
- "The Second Theorem of the Second Best", Journal of Public Economics 25, 223-242, 1994.
- "Land Taxes, Output Taxes, and Sharecropping: Was Henry George Right?" World Bank Economic Review 5, 93-112. 1991.
- "Dysfunctional Finance: Positive Shocks and Negative Outcomes", Journal of Globalization and Development, 1 (1). 2010.
Also published as Dysfunctional Finance: Positive Shocks and Negative Outcomes, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 5183, World Bank. 2009.
- "Moneylenders and Bankers: Price-Increasing Subsidies with Monopolistic Competition", with J. Stiglitz, Journal of Development Economics 55, 485-518. 1998.
- :Imperfect Information and Rural Credit Markets: Puzzles and Policy Perspectives", with J. Stiglitz, World Bank Economic Review 5, 235-250. 1990.
- "Bayesian Learning in a Model of Infant Industries", Journal of International Economics 42, 409-436. 1997.
- "A Reexamination of the Neoclassical Trade Model under Uncertainity", Journal of International Economics 36, 1-27. 1994.
- "Equilibrium Fictions: A Cognitive Approach to Societal Rigidity", American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings 100, 141-146. May 2010.
- "Turnover in Power as a Restraint on Investing in Influence: Evidence from the Post- Communist Transition", with B. Milanovic and S. Horowitz, Economics and Politics 2010, forthcoming.
- Government Turnover: Concepts, Measures, and Applications, European Jounal of Political Research 45(1): 107-129. 2009.
- Exiting a Lawless State, with J. Stiglitz, Economic Journal 118 (531). August 2008.
- Political Alternation, Regardless of Ideology, Diminishes Influence Buying: Lessons from Transitions in Former Communist States, with S. Horowtiz and B. Milanovic, Policy Outlook, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, 1-6. January 2005.
- After the Big Bang? Obstacles to the Emergence of the Rule of Law in Post-Communist Societies, with J. Stiglitz, American Economic Review 94(3), 753-763. June 2004.
- The Transition Process in Post-Communist Societies: Towards a Political Economy of Property Rights, with J. Stiglitz, in Toward Pro-Poor Policies - Aid, Institutions and Globalization, B. Tungodden, N. Stern, and I. Kolstad (eds.), World Bank/Oxford University Press, 231-245. 2004.
Also circulated under the title “The Transition from Communism: A Diagrammatic Exposition of Obstacles to the Demand for the Rule of Law,” World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 3352. 2004.
- Can Privatization Come Too Soon? Politics after the Big Bang in Post-Communist Societiesin Economics for an Imperfect World, R. Arnott, B. Greenward, R. Kanbur, and B. Nalebuff (eds.), MIT Press, pp. 549-565. 2003.