M. Hallward-Driemeier - Other Publications
- Understanding the Investment Climate, with W. Smith. Finance and Development. Vol. 41, No. 1, 2005.
- Investment Climate and Firm Performance in Developing Countries, with D. Dollar and T. Mengistae, Economic Development and Cultural Change, Vol. 54, No.1, pp. 1-31, 2005.
- A Better Investment Climate for Everyone, M. Hallward-Driemeier (guest editor), Development Outreach, Washington, D.C : The World Bank, 2005.
- Crisis, Adjustment and Reform in Thailand's Industrial Firms, with D. Dollar, World Bank Research Observer, 2000.
- "Crisis, Adjustment and Reform in Thai Industry", with D. Dollar, World Bank Research Observer, February 2000.
- "Asian Corporates’ Credit Needs and Governance", with D. Dwor-Frecaut and F. Colaco, in Asian Corporate Recovery, 2000.
- "Asian Manufacturing Recovery: A Firm-Level Analysis", with D. Dwor-Frecaut and F. Colaco, in Asian Corporate Recovery, 2000.
World Development Report 2005: A Better Investment Climate for Everyone (Deputy Director), 2004, New York: Oxford University Press and World Bank.
- Asian Corporate: The Role of Credit in Crisis and Recovery. Evidence from Firm-Level Surveys, with D. Dwor-Frecaut and F. Colaco; G. Ferri (ed.), Oxford University Press, 2002.
Chapters in Books
- "Do BITs Attract FDI?", in DTTs and FDI Flows, L. Sachs and K. Sauvant (eds.),Columbia University Press, 2009.
- Investment Climate, Infrastructure and Trade in Latin America, with D. Dollar and T. Mengistae, book chapter R. Noll (ed.), forthcoming.
- "Openness, Firms and Competition", in Globalization Policy Research Report, 2002.
- "Low Hanging Fruit and Low Horizons: Capital Markets in Hong Kong", with A. Bernard, Made By Hong Kong, R. Lester and S. Berger (eds.), Oxford University Press, 1997.
- Deals versus Rules: Policy Implementation Uncertainty and Why Firms Hate It, with Gita Khun-Jush, and Lant Pritchett, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 5321, 2010.
- Big Constraints to Small Firms' Growth: Business Environment and Employment Growth Across Firms, with C.Pages and R. Aterido, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 5032, 2009.
- Comparing Apples to....Apples: How to Make (More) Sense in Subjective Ranking of Constraints to Business, with R. Aterido, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 5054, 2009.
- Who Survives? The Impact of Corruption, Competition and Property Rights across Firms, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 5084, 2009.
- Creative Destruction and Policy Reforms: Changing Productivity Effects of Firm Turnover in Moroccan Manufacturing, with F. Thompson, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 5085, 2009.
- Mind the Neighbors: The Impact of Productivity and Location on Firm Turnover, with F. Thompson, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 5106, 2009
- Manufacturing in East Asia: Evidence from Surveys of Firms, with G. Iarossi and K. Sokoloff. NBER Working Paper No. 8894, 2002.
- Exports and Manufacturing Productivity in East Asia: A Comparative Analysis with Firm-Level Data, NBER No. 8894, December 1, 2002.
- Openness, Firms, and Competition, background paper for the World Development Report, 2000.
- How do Investment Climate Conditions Vary Across Countries, Regions and Types of Firms? Background paper for the 2005 World Development Report, 2004.
- "The Investment Climate for Informal Firms", with A. Stone. Background paper for the 2005 World Development Report, 2004.
- "The Distribution of FDI: What Role do Openness and Pro-Competitive Institutions Play?" Background paper for Global Economic Prospects, 2002.