U. Deichmann - Other Publications
"Valuing access to water: A spatial hedonic approach applied to Bangalore, India" (with L. Anselin, N. Lozano-Gracia and S.V. Lall), Spatial Economic Analysis, 2010.
World Development Report 2009: A Practical Economic Geography (with I. Gill and C. Goh), Economic Geography, forthcoming.
"Road network upgrading and overland trade expansion in Sub-Saharan Africa" (with P. Buys and D. Wheeler), Journal of African Economies, 2010.
"Urban Proximity, Agricultural Potential and Non-Farm Employment: Evidence from Bangladesh" (with F. Shilpi and R. Vakis), World Development 37(3):645-660, 2009.
"Country stakes in climate change negotiations : two dimensions of vulnerability" (with P. Buys, C. Meisner, T.T. That, and D. Wheeler), Climate Policy 9: 288-305, 2009.
"Measurement of Accessibility and its Applications" (with N. Yoshida), Journal of Infrastructure 1(1):1-18, 2009.
"The economic geography of regional integration" (with I. Gill), Finance and Development, 45, 4:45-48, 2008.
"Industrial Location in Developing Countries" (with S.V. Lall, S.J. Redding, and A.J. Venables), World Bank Research Observer 23(2):219-246, 2008.
"Citizen feedback and delivery of urban services" (with S.V. Lall), World Development 35(4): 649-662, 2008.
"Determinants of City Growth in Brazil" (with D. da Mata, J.V. Henderson, S.V. Lall and H.G. Wang), Journal of Urban Economics 62 (2): 252-272, 2007.
"Fiscal and distributional implications of property tax reforms in Indian cities" (with S.V. Lall), Economic and Political Weekly, July 22, 3209-3220, 2006.
"Household savings and residential mobility in informal settlements in Bhopal India" (with S.V. Lall and A. Suri), Urban Studies 43 (7): 1-15, 2006.
"The economics of decentralized poverty–environment programs: An application for Lao PDR" (with P. Buys, K. Chomitz, S. Dasgupta, B. Larsen, C. Meisner, J. Nygard, K. Pandey, N. Pinnoi, D. Wheeler), Journal of Policy Modeling 28: 811-824, 2006.
"Determining Global Population Distribution: Methods, Applications and Data" (with D.L. Balk, G. Yetman, F. Pozzi, S.I. Hay and A. Nelson), Advances in Parasitology 62: 119-156, 2006.
"The poverty/environment nexus in Cambodia and Lao People’s Democratic Republic" (with S. Dasgupta,, C. Meisner and D. Wheeler), World Development 33 (4): 617-638, 2005.
"Economic structure, productivity, and infrastructure quality in Southern Mexico" (with M. Fay, J. Koo and S.V. Lall), Annals of Regional Science 38(3): 361-385, 2004.
"Tenure, diversity, and commitment: Community participation for urban service provision" (with S.V. Lall, M. Lundberg and N. Chaudhury), Journal of Development Studies 40(3):1-26, 2004.
"Agglomeration economies and productivity in Indian industry" (with S.V. Lall and Z. Shalizi), Journal of Development Economics 73(2): 643-673, 2004.
"Human population growth and the extinction of the tsetse fly" (with R. Reid, R. Kruska, P. Thornton, and S. Leak), Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 77: 227-236, 2000.
"Estimating mortality, morbidity and disability due to malaria among Africa’s non-pregnant population" (with R. Snow, M. Craig and K. Marsh), Bulletin of the World Health Organization 77(8): 624-640, 1999.
"A preliminary continental risk map for Malaria mortality among African children" (with Snow, R., M.H. Craig and D. le Sueur), Parasitology Today 15(3): 99-104, 1999.
"World population on a grid of spherical quadrilaterals" (with W.Tobler, J. Gottsegen and K. Maloy), International Journal of Population Geography 3: 203-225, 1997.
"A framework for the areal interpolation of socioeconomic data" (with M.F. Goodchild and L. Anselin), Environment and Planning A 25: 383-397, 1993.
"Dealing with errors in spatial databases: Results from a national research initiative" (with M. F. Goodchild and L. Anselin), The Operational Geographer 10(2):12-22, 1992.
Chapters in books
- "Deepening Regional Integration" (with S. Coulibaly, A. Roberts and V. Foster) in Africa’s Infrastructure: A Time for Transformation, ed. Vivien Foster and Cecilia Briceno-Garmendia. Agence Française de Développement and World Bank, Washington, D.C., 2010.
- "Infrastructure and City Competitiveness in India" (with S.V. Lall and H.G. Wang), refereed chapter in Urbanization and Development: Multidisciplinary Perspectives, ed. Jo Beall, Basudeb Guha-Khasnobis and Ravi Kanbur. UN WIDER, London School of Economics, forthcoming.
- "Geographical targeting: A review of alternative methods and approaches" (with D. Bigman), in Geographical Targeting for Poverty Alleviation: Methodology and Applications, ed. D. Bigman and H. Fofack. Regional and Sectoral Studies, Washington DC: World Bank, 43-73, 2000.
- "Spatial indicators of access and fairness for the location of public facilities" (with D. Bigman), in Geographical Targeting for Poverty Alleviation: Methodology and Applications, ed.D. Bigman and H. Fofack, Regional and Sectoral Studies, Washington DC: World Bank. 181-206, 2000.
- "The implementation of integrated models in a multi-regional system" (with L. Anselin and Serge Rey), in New Directions in Regional Analysis: Multi-regional Approaches, ed. L. Anselin and M. Madden. London: Belhaven Press, 146-170, 1990.
Global Assessment Report on Disaster Risk Reduction - Risk and Poverty in a Changing Climate, United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction Secretariat (UNISDR), Geneva, 2009 (co-author).
World Development Report 2009 – Reshaping Economic Geography, World Bank, Washington, DC, 2008 (principal author).
Natural Disaster Hotspots. A Global Risk Analysis (with M. Dilley, R. Chen, A. Lerner-Lam, and M. Arnold), World Bank Disaster Risk Management Series No. 5, World Bank, Washington, DC, 2005
Promoting the rural non-farm sector in Bangladesh (with F. Shilpi, A. McCalla and R. Vakis), Report No. 29719-BD, South Asia Region, World Bank, Washington, D.C., 2004.
Handbook on Geographic Information Systems and Digital Mapping, Series: F, No.79, Department for Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations Statistics Division, New York, 2000.
Geographical information systems for population statistics, Studies in Methods, Series F, No. 68, Department of Economic and Social Information and Policy Analysis, Statistics Division, New York, 1997.
Global digital datasets for land degradation studies: A GIS approach (with L. Eklundh, United Nations Environment Programme, Global Resource Information Database, Case Study No. 4, Nairobi, Kenya, 1991.